I know that almost/all my readers are women but this book was just so good! It's not necessarily "For Men Only" as in many ways this book would help a woman compare and understand how her husband takes the things she does and says. I have asked my husband (Daniel) if he'd write a review of this book - since it is written for men. : )
For Men Only
By: Shaunti FeldhahnFormat: Hardcover
Number of Pages: 192
Vendor: Multnomah Publishers, Inc.
Publication Date: 2006
Dimensions: 7.00 X 5.00 (inches)
I enjoyed reading this book as it is filled with insightful details about the inner life (or might I say confusing life) of a woman. When Tabitha first showed me this book I knew it was a must. I have read many marriage books, so I thought to myself “I won’t learn much”, man was I WRONG! I learned so much that I am going to be reading it again & probably even visiting a few chapters a 3rd time (mainly the chapter on listening). I found that the area I thought I was an expert in; I was not even close to understanding (can you guess what I am thinking of?). Have you ever had your wife tell you that you aren’t listening when you have listened and are now trying to “solve” her “problem”? I sure have, but there is hope! I learned that she really doesn’t want me to fix the problem, she wants me to:
- Give her my full physical attention
- Give her my full mental attention
- Listen for the right thing (most of us guys think: I should filter out all the emotion and listen to the facts. But we have it backwards. We need to filter out the facts and focus on how it makes her feel.)
- Lastly acknowledge what her feeling is and affirm/sympathize with it (even if we disagree with her thoughts)
Here is a warning it contained:
Don’t Try These at Home!
“How not to listen”
- Tell her she’s overreacting,
- Question her version of the facts,
- Wonder aloud about the time of the month
- Ask her to quit crying, or
- Offer spiritual correction (“are you sure you're not just envious?”)
Overall it was VERY worth reading (so much so, that I bought the companion book: For Women Only. for my wife). It even comes with a helpful quick start guide. I hope you take the time to invest in your marriage and read it.
***I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review all opinions are honestly my own.
****The post contains affiliate links.