Thursday, August 4, 2011

Homemade Echinacea Tincture!

I'm started making some Homemade Echinacea Tincture. I'm using the recipe in the FREE eBook you get when you subscribe to Savvy Teas and Herbs (sorry for no link this time - their site is down for maintenance). It's pretty easy and I'm looking forward to the outcome and saving money making my own. After I make this one and if it turns out there are so many others I'd love to make.

I decided to go with an alcohol based tincture as it lasts indefinitely and it extracts the properties out of the herbs the best. Since you use so little and mix it in with juice/water or something I wasn't worried about it either. : )

• I filled a glass quart jar about 1/2 way with the dry herbs. Instructions say to not pack in the herbs.

• Then I filled the jar to within 2 inches of the top with alcohol (I used Vodka)and sealed it.

• Instruction say to store for 3 weeks in a dry, cool place and shake daily.

• After 3 weeks, strain and discard herbs, bottle in a glass container (I bought some amber bottles to put it in) and be sure and label. Keep out of reach of children.

I'll update you all again once it's done and will let you know how it worked! : )

Have you ever made your own tinctures? If so, what herbs did you use, did you like it and did it save you much money? : )

6 comments:

Trophy and Barb said...

So what would you use this for when it's done?

Joy said...

This looks fun! I've been wanting to try this for some time. My mom gave me a bunch of echinacea plants this year, so I hope to be able to make tinctures with them sometime soon.

I made a tincture with some Plantain a few years ago. It is supposed to be good for lots of things, and it was basically free, since it grows all over, and very easy.

A Restful Place said...

@ Trophy & Barb - Echinacea is good for your immune system. After this is done you can take it like a supplement.

A Restful Place said...

Joy, that sounds fun about the plantain - I'm really looking forward to how this turns out. : )

Savories of life said...

I have made several. You can even do it with apple cidar vinegar. I made an oregno one to make you feel well, echincea and fennel one . I will post about it maybe next week.

Come see my giveaways!

Happy Homemaker said...

So, where do you get the herb? and how do you know when/how to use it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...