Thursday, July 28, 2011

Comfort from the Scriptures


Last night I was up for a few hours with my little guy teething. I was discouraged and tired - honestly I didn't want to do it, I wanted to go back to sleep until morning. :) For awhile I didn't do anything except rock him and give him some teething homeopathic remedy to help relieve his pain. I then got my phone out and started reading the Bible on it. First I read Proverbs 31, then Philippians, & then the first 4 chapters of Ephesians. No reason for the order just sort of did it. He was resting well by the forth chapter of Ephesians so we both went back in bed. :)

During the time I spent reading several different verses stood out to me and comforted me as I rocked my baby. He wasn't crying though, just awake. He's never cried much with teething.

I found comfort during my discouragement and tiredness in the middle of the night from these scriptures:

She watches over the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness.
Proverbs 31:27

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
Philippians 4:4-6

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13

But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 2:4-7

For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height -- to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
Ephesians 3:14-21

I beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Ephesians 4:1-3

Among many others. :)

What scriptures encourage you when your discouraged and tired?

5 comments:

Mikailah Autumn said...

There are so many good, encouraging scriptures! One of my favorites is the one you mentioned... Eph 4:1-3. That is a great one. Thank you for sharing!
Blessings~
Mikailah

stefanie cunnington said...

Thanks for sharing! For me it is the Psalms that I go to when discouraged. I love this quote from Andrew Bonar, "Now remember whenever I see you looking sad or downcast, I will ask you when you cut the book of Psalms out of the Bible!"
Stefanie

Mrs. Skelton said...

Oh Tabitha! I loved this post! I completely no what you were feeling. And reading the Bible at a time like that is so comforting! I love Philippians 4:4-6! Especially the part where it says "Be anxious for nothing," and how it goes on and says, "but in everything by prayer and supplication," and then "with thanksgiveing," with thanksgiveing!! "let your requests be made known to God;"!! I love that we can just pray for streghth to get us through even the smallest discomforts with joy! I think of the times when I really don't feel like rocking a small teething baby, then I think of all the days that are to come when I can never go back to rocking my sweet little lady like that again.

Savories of life said...

God is so good! You and I like natural thigns so come on over and dos ee my blog. I see your first comment is by my dear blog follower!!

Joy said...

This is really sweet, Tabitha! I'm so glad you were able to find encouragement and also get some sleep! :)

I love the Psalms. My Bible is quite highlighted in that book. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...